Vegetarian Yuba Roll
Even though for health reason I had converted to eating seafood after 17 years of a strict vegetarian diet, thinking of vegetarian dishes has long become a habit for me. And the fact that I am more familiar with vegetarian ingredients makes cooking an easier task. So, today, I am sharing a dish that is really a perfect appetizer year round due to easy to find ingredients.INGREDIENTS
(Serving of 9)
60 g of carrots
60 g bamboo shoots
60 g shitake mushroom
60 g wood ear mushroom
1 pack of enoki mushroom1 to
2 large sheets of bean curd (yuba)
1 tbsp Vegetarian Oyster Sauce (or to taste)
Salt and pepper (to taste)
Note: You could find all of these ingredients in most Asian supermarkets.
1. Prepare all ingredients
(a) take out bean curd sheet from freezer and defrost/unthraw back to soft condition. (Note: in my video, the one I used was still a bit crispy, and should be thoroughly unthrawed.)
(b) soak wood ear mushroom in warm water until soft (20 mins)
(c) julienne carrots, bamboo shoots, and shitake mushrom
(d) cut bean curd sheet into triangle sheets (6-7" x 6-7" is large enough.)
2. On medium heat, heat 1/2 tbsp of vegetable oil into pan
3. Add carrots, shitake mushroom, and bamboo shoot into pan. Stir fry for a few minutes until fragrant.
4. Add oyster sauce and increase heat to medium high to dry out the liquid. Stir fry a few minutes until all ingredients are soft. And a bit of salt and pepper to taste.
5. Take veggies out and let cool.
6. Start rolling. Put veggies into bean curd sheet and wrap or roll each one as tightly as you can. Optional: Beat one egg and seal the roll with egg. I skip this in the video.
7. When done rolling all the ingredients, on medium heat, add 1-2 Tbs vegetable oil and pan fry the roll. About 3 minutes on each side is enough, depending on your cooktop temperature. Flip the rolls when they turn golden brown. Be sure not to leave them on too long. Yuba is easily cooked and will burn fast.
8. Put roll on a towel to take out some remaining oil. Serve within 30 minutes for the best, crispy taste.
Now enjoy this healthy, vegetarian appetizer!
Blog post written by Hong